2012 NCAA Tournament Bracket Prediction Updated
The 2012 NCAA tournament bracket on the home page has been updated, taking into account games played through March 5th, 2012.
At this point we’re starting to see some conference tournaments end, and actual invitations to the the 2012 NCAA tournament are being handed out. The following teams were included because they won their conference tournament:
- Belmont Bruins (Atlantic Sun)
- Creighton Bluejays (Missouri Valley)
- Davidson Wildcats (Southern)
- Loyola-Maryland Greyhounds (MAAC)
- Murray St. Racers (Ohio Valley)
- NC-Asheville Bulldogs (Big South)
- St. Mary’s Gaels (WCC)
- VCU Rams (Colonial)
A few thoughts on the current March Madness bracket:
- The Big East has a ridiculous 10 teams in the bracket, which A) makes it very difficult to follow the guidelines issued to the selection committee regarding avoiding conference matchups, and B) is unlikely to actually be the case when the official 2012 NCAA tournament bracket is released. Both South Florida and Seton Hall are currently listed in play-in games, which means they are among the last four in. However, the bubble is likely to shrink at some point as dark horses win a couple conference tournament, which will eliminate one or both of their spots.
- North Carolina moves onto the #1 seed line after thrashing Duke on the road. While it’s true that the RPI doesn’t take into account margin of victory, the selection committee members do use the eye test, and most of their eyeballs were probably watching UNC dismantle a possible #2 seed.
- Kentucky and Syracuse are the only #1 seeds set in stone. If Kansas and/or UNC get beaten badly, especially at the hands of Missouri or Duke, they could slip.
- A fourth Mountain West team — Colorado State — slipped into the March Madness bracket this week. The Rams beat UNLV at home and took care of business at Air Force. They probably need to at least beat TCU in their first MWC tournament game to have a shot at an at large. After that, it depends upon the opponent — a win over San Diego State and they might just lock themselves up a bid.
The NCAA bracket has been on a weekly update schedule, but we’ll be revisiting it more frequently this week, and will have a final 2012 bracket prediction Sunday before the 2012 NCAA Tournament Selection Show airs.